Thursday 24 May 2012

0 Prince William wakeful before wedding

Britain's Prince William barely slept the night before his wedding.

The future king married his long-term love Catherine Middleton at Westminster Abbey in April last year. The royal wedding attracted interest from people around the world and thousands flocked to see the newlyweds on their special day.

Prince William wakeful before wedding

William admits that the well-wishers who gathered in London were in such great spirits that he struggled to get any rest.

"I hadn't slept at all that night because obviously all the crowds were on The Mall," he explained in an interview for Elizabeth: Queen, Wife, Mother, which airs in the UK on June 1. "They were singing and cheering all night long. So, the excitement of that, the nervousness of me, and everyone singing meant I slept for about half an hour, I think.

"So when I did get up in the morning, I can say that I had prepared myself totally by that point. It was a case of just going out there and trying to enjoy the moment and also get through it.

"But it was good fun, it was really good fun."

William went on to reveal that he and his brother Prince Harry had a moment of panic as they were leaving Clarence House for the wedding ceremony.

"The hardest thing was trying to walk down the stairs with my spurs on, sideways," he laughed. "I had visions of myself and my brother colliding and crashing down the stairs."

The royal insists he and Catherine did have control over the planning of their wedding. In fact, William's grandmother Queen Elizabeth II made sure the couple were happy with every decision made.

"There was very much a subdued moment when I was handed a list with 777 names on it - not one person I knew or Catherine knew," he explained. "I went to [the queen] and said, 'Listen, I've got this list, not one person I know - what do I do?' And she went, 'Get rid of it. Start from your friends and then we'll add those we need to in due course. It's your day.'"

William spoke of his admiration for his grandmother - who is celebrating 60 years on the throne.

He is in awe of how she coped with becoming queen when she was "only 25".

"When I was younger and a young boy growing up, I'd say probably queen first, then grandmother. But now it's definitely a case of grandmother first, and queen second," he smiled. "That's really quite something, to be in a man's world and then as a woman to suddenly be thrust into the position she found herself.(Google)

"They're quite hard footsteps to fill. There's not much wiggle room left for me to try and find my own path, but I will do."

Read more: belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/

0 comments:

Post a Comment